12 October 2012

Til Rasmus Rasmussen

For once, I want to use this space for a personal reason: remembering the great Rasmus Rasmussen. Words are sometimes needless, expecially when such a big and unexpected loss happens. I had the privilege to meet him and, that time, I immediately felt  it was a exceptional man I was talking to, even if I've clearly known him more for his music than personally. And, I'd like to remember him listening to the one of the songs composed by Rasmus I've loved most, while sending my deepest condoleances to all the great and extraordinary music family of the Faroe Islands.


Moreover, I'd like to share the thoughts of Jón Hansen, frontman of Hamferð and Hatursvart and great friend of Rasmus: 

I’m writing this in English in hopes of reaching as many as possible.

Rasmus Rasmussen, friend, musical collaborator, extraordinary musician and extraordinary human being, was yesterday morning found lifeless in the beautiful Tórshavn plantation, his beloved and oft-visited place of solace.

Words for this loss are hard to come by, as I have struggled to find the right ones. Many personal feelings I have about his death are hard to describe in a satisfying way, and so they will remain personal for now. But then again, whatever may be spoken or written in his memory will not do him complete justice.

Fortunately for all who survive this wonderful man, he has more than done justice to his own existence by leaving a consistently touching, challenging and original body of musical work for us all to keep. Within each of his compositions lies a piece of the essence that is Rasmus, and I am certainly one of those, who has traversed and recognized the sonic inner landscapes of his music. He was one of those rare musicians who could make his guitar sing his purest emotions in a way that truly touched others.

I urge you all to visit his YouTube page, where he has published songs from throughout his discography, ranging from ambient works, through melancholically drenched guitar-instrumentals and beautiful gothically tinged rock with his former band Makrel (for those who enjoy such bands as Anathema and Katatonia), to raw Metal-songs of great diversity, all bearing the distinct sensibilities, originality and passion of Rasmus’ performance.

To all who loved Rasmus and his music: Share his songs as much as you can. I personally find it to be the truest way of honoring his impact on our lives!

The spirit of Rasmus Rasmussen lives forever!
-  Jón Hansen 

8 comments:

  1. Non lo conoscevo,ma deve essere stato un grande

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so very, very sorry for the loss of this fine young man. Sal Joensen from the Faroe Islands, a very dear friend of mine told me about this and I am still mourning this. A loss, any loss is bitter, but the bitterness here is so vast, because it didn't have to happen. Sal and I are comrades in the fight against mental illness as we are both bipolar, although for different reasons which do not matter. I have suffered cruelties for other reasons; cruel is cruel and we all have the right to be who we are and to flower and live as passionately as we were meant to. I will be posting a memorial to honor Rasmuss Rasmussen and Sal Joensen and all who have suffered any sort of mental illness for whatever the reason. We need to reach out to one another. Sal came to me because he knew he could talk to me. I am mentally ill. I am bipolar. I am accessible and I understand. You are not weak. You are not crazy. Let's join hands for Rasmuss Rasmussen. Later today, you are invited to visit my blog homeless chronicles in tampa. I will come back here and post a link. I will also be adding this blog url to my blog roll. every one is welcome. Thank you all and I am so very, very sorry about the loss of a man I surely would have loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have posted a memorial to Rasmus Rasmussen here. Again, I found out about his death from my very dear and wonderful friend, Sal Joensen. I hope you like it. I have also added this site to my blog roll. I wish you all the best and I will be back to visit. Thank you.

      http://homelesschroniclesintampa.blogspot.com/2012/10/row80-post-18-in-memory-of-rasmuss.html

      Delete
  3. Hello! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with us so I came to check it out.

    I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm bookmarking and will
    be tweeting this to my followers! Great blog
    and amazing style and design.

    Also visit my web blog :: Enduros

    ReplyDelete